Heritage Trails

1. Church Gate to Palace Gate
2. Swan Bank to Golden Lion
3. Daisy Lane to Wandsworth Bridge
4. Stamford Bridge to Walham Green
5. Upper Mall to Hammersmith Terrace
6. Ravenscourt Park
7. Brook Green
8. Shepherds Bush Green

[ location map of trails ]
[ the Introduction to the pack ]

All the downloads are in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. For the free reader go to the Adobe website.

[ HOME ]





Trail 3

Trail 3 downloads
[ route map ] [introduction to trail ] [ students trail ] [ teachers trail ]

Broomhouse was formerly a riverside hamlet consisting of cottages occupied by market gardeners and labourers. The shrub called broom or furze grew on the sandy soil which was a geological feature of this area. The first recorded instance of the name Broomhouse occurs in 1454 and a ferry formerly existed at Broomhouse Dock.

The Town Meadows or Meads were the lands lying by the side of the river from Broomhouse Dock on the west to Chelsea Creek in the north east. They were originally Lammas lands on which the tenants of the Manor of Fulham had the right to pasture their cattle and to cut furze for firewood. The Town Meadows were used for agriculture until the late nineteenth century when wharves and related industries began to be established along the river. Today, Townmead Road is a reminder of the area’s former use.

The opening of Wandsworth Bridge in 1873 marked the beginning of development in the southern part of Sands End. Timber wharves, a sawmill and factories were established around the bridge. The mixture of residential and retail premises in Wandsworth Bridge Road catered for the needs of the expanding population. To the east of Wandsworth Bridge the first of Fulham Borough Council’s power stations opened in 1901. In 1936 it was succeeded by a new power station which became the largest such municipal facility in the country, served by a fleet of colliers (coal shippers) owned by the local authority.

Large houses in the area included Carnwath House, among whose occupiers were members of the aristocracy, and Broom House, home of the Sulivan family. South Park, opened in 1904, was formed from former market garden land belonging to the Sulivans. Both houses have been demolished, but the eighteenth century Hurlingham House has survived. Part of its land was acquired by the London County Council in 1951 for use as a park and sports area. Sulivan Court, opened in 1950, was built on one of the Hurlingham Club polo grounds.